Physical activity is key for our mental and physical wellbeing. We all need to be physically active more than ever especially when working or learning from home; so, let’s get the Jubilee School community movin’.
Here are some of the benefits of exercise according to the CDC:
- Reduced anxiety and depression
- Improved thinking, learning and judgment skills
- Better sleep
- Helps achieve or maintain a healthy weight
- Boosts immunity
- Strengthens bones and muscles
- Improves flexibility, endurance, strength, and speed
- Reduces the risk of many serious health conditions
What do we do in school?
In school at KS3 your child has PE three hourly lessons fortnightly and at KS4 they take the PE or Dance option which gives them the opportunity to be physically active. During these lessons your child will take part in a variety of activities designed to improve their heart and lung health, which gives them enough energy to tackle daily school work with a fresh mind. The activities they do in lesson also release chemicals like endorphins that improve their mood.
Students also have the opportunity to get fresh air and some exercise as they move between lessons and at break and lunch time. This also helps to ensure that their minds have a break from the intensity of lessons.
How can you replicate this at home?
Its key that students are able to take a break from the intensity of home learning too. We suggest:
- Students take regular movement breaks between completing subjects. Encourage them to come away from the computer and get out of their seats! This could be helping with a bit of house work for 10 mins!
- Students take a morning 20 min movement break like they would at school where they do some of the activities suggested below.
- Students take an hour lunch break- during this time they could go out for a walk or into the garden for some fresh air.
Family/outdoor exercising activities
- Go for an outdoor walk/hike
- Go for an outdoor run
- Go for a bike ride
- Help with the housework/ clean your room
- Do some cooking/baking together
- Play Fitness Monopoly together – download here