'A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots' - Marcus Garvey 1938
Curriculum intent and aims
We take inspiration from the Schools History Project and Historical Association’s principles about the teaching of History and we believe students should take a passion for learning about their past, into their future.
Through their study of History, we aim to:
• Provide students with a deeper understanding of the present, through engaging with the past.
• Expose students to the mistakes of the past and encourage them to become curious about the choices of their ancestors.
• Provide students with historical evidence so they can develop their own values and opinions, and begin to question the past.
• Give students an understanding of tolerance for other religions and races through the teaching of a range of historical periods and cultures.
• Generate an enjoyable and life enhancing experience that provides the stepping stone for life-long thinking and engagement in History.
The 5 Meta-Concepts that underpin History are:
The curriculum sequence and course specifications can be viewed by clicking on the links below:
Curriculum Sequence - History GCSE specification link: