'Mathematics is not about numbers, equations, computations, or algorithms: it is about understanding' - William Paul Thurston
'The essence of math is not to make simple things complicated, but to make complicated things simple' - Stan Gudder, 1976
Curriculum intent and aims
To develop students who value, understand and enjoy mathematics and are able to reduce its complexities into something much simpler.
Through their study of Mathematics, we aim to:
- Secure each student’s fundamental skills of learning in terms of numeracy and Mathematical literacy.
- Develop each student to become confident and fluent with a broad range of mathematical skills needed to function in the real world.
- Provide students with the ability to approach problem solving in a logical and analytical way.
- Develop learners who can apply mathematical skills to a variety of situations.
- Developing the love and understanding of STEM and open opportunities to follow STEM career pathways upon leaving Jubilee.
The six meta-concepts underpinning the Mathematics curriculum are:
- Ratio and Proportion
- Geometry and Measures
The curriculum sequence and course specifications can be viewed by clicking on the links below:
GCSE specification link: